Monday 25 January 2010

Eve blog banter...a first attempt

Ok so i've been meaning to get involved with the blog banter for a while but have always felt a little under qualified to throw in my 2 cents, however the godfather of eve blogging CK, has recently asked a new question, and is giving some nice prizes for the best answer so here is my attempt..

Welcome to this special installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by myself, CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to me. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
When you've been roaming New Eden as long as I have, it almost feels like home. That's how familiar it has become over the last 5 years. Not that I have done everything or touched every aspect of this most amazing of virtual world, far from it, but it just feels as though it's always been there. And always will be.
Whether you've logged into the game every day since its launch in 2003, or you've taken one or several sabbaticals from your capsuleer career, you've always come back to New Eden don't you. Why is that?
We know the EVE Online Community is unique in so many ways, and that EVE Online is like no other MMORPG out there. But what makes the game special for you?
What is it that makes this particular virtual world so enticing, so mysterious and so alluring that we keep coming back for more. Why is EVE one of the very few MMOs to see a continuous growth in its subscriber.
To put it simply: Why do you love EVE Online so much?

to answer simply..my love affair with eve started long before eve was even developed..my favorite games growing up were the "elite" games, for those of you too young to rember them or of you misssed out growing up, these were in my opinion the forerunners of eve online, the were completly open sandbox and while the first game limited you to one ship, the second game "frontiers" felt like a very early single player version of Eve.
I was obsessed with these games..then disaster struck and i discovered women and booze and all the other lovely vices this world has to offer and i drifted away from the gaming world that had captured my imagination for so long...fast forward to june 2009 im now married (happily im pleased to say) all my wicked ways have gone (mostly) and im kicking around the house fast becoming bored of the games im playing on my 360, dont get me wrong the 360 is fun but it's games lack the long term appeal im looking for.
I want a game thats a on going hobbie, something i can grow into, so i start searching for an online game, as i figure the best way to keep it fresh is to play aginst real people that grow and adapt with me...the i find adverts for eve ...its described by some as the new "elite" but multiplayer..im interested i read more and the whole consept sounds incredible and it feels like an old dream im only just remembering...I get a 14 day trial....I love it, however the wife is less than impressed id have to subscribe...a 2 months and 3 more trial accounts pass before i win the battle...i have taken all i have learned in those trials and scored a 21 day buddy key...and bought a 60 GTC..
I HAVE 80 DAYS!!!
I create astral dominix, and start my eve charecter proper. I have now been playing about 5 months and have an arrangement with the wife about my subscription...i buy her shoes she buys me eve...seems fair to me. every time i log in i still get the warm feeling that someone took the game i loved of my childhood and remade it in a way i could only have dreamed of, and expanded it beyond what i thought achiveable...the corps..the factions...the fiction...even the bloggers..it all adds up to more than a game, its a lifestyle..i may be a responsable adult now with a 9-5 and a boring job...but im also a capsuleer and leed a life of adventure and excitment..im also a scribe and a blogger..

in summery i play eve because it entertains, but it also enriches my life in ways i cant begin to put in to words..


read more of CK's blog at http://www.crazykinux.com/

Here are some other Banters about this topic:

Mail Lite ~ http://thebeginningsofpiracy.blogspot.com/2010/01/eve-blog-banter-special-edition-why-we.html
Jager Da ~ http://www.jagerda.com/why-i-love-eve/
Minuit Soleil ~ http://minuitsoleil.blogspot.com/2010/01/welcome-to-this-special-installment-of.html
Logan Fyreite ~ http://eveopportunist.blogspot.com/2010/01/oh-opportunity-is-there-anything-so.html
Sered Woollahra ~ http://sered-sl.blogspot.com/2010/01/eve-online-whats-appeal.html
Mithrandir Stormcrow ~ http://thelathspell.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/eve-blog-banter-special-edition-why-we-love-eve-online/

5 comments:

  1. Gotta love the 9-5 pace, damn real life getting in the way of Eve playing. Watch out for those NPC's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah the 9-5 isnt to bad at all, i get a few hours in most nights nowdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol everyone has one moment of genius in their lives...that was mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed your most recent post. I think you should post more often, you obviously have natural ability for blogging!

    ReplyDelete