Monday 22 November 2010

Low sec exploratio day 2 (and 3)

Ok the low sec exploration is still going well…sort of. I have had a couple of minor set backs.

Firstly a couple of nights ago while looking for mag and radar sites I found a grav site..gensis lots of it. I let my CEO know I had a large private field if he wanted to fly a barge out to low and mine it, which he did. Now relts is a good pilot but a little rusty at low sec ops, still the first half hour went by easy enough although as we docked to drop some ore a fleet passed through with a wyvern..now the silly cap pilot left his cyno ship completely un guarded..alone..what’s a ex pirate to do?
Anyway I killed it for a giggle and went back to guarding my CEO. Half hour later I had to log off for bed thinking he would “probably” be fine. He wasn’t he was popped later that night by a wyvern pilot. Oops.
The next day I was again running some radar sites when a corp mate in a thorax said he wanted to come to lowsec and have some fun with me…as he was on the way out I found a nice juicy site to do..and it turned out a combat site!! Excellent.
Now I haven’t run these before but figured they cant be that much more than the others can they, and a extra ship should make it a cake walk..shouldnt it?
Wrong.
I didn’t check the DED rating of the site, the biggest lesson I learned here…on warping in my computer got really jittery and unresponsive but the amount of cruisers and battleships locking me told me the “dora 1” was shafted. My corp mate got out in deep armour but I was leaving in a pod, the laptop didn’t like all the incoming fire and wouldn’t accept the warp out command in time. Glad it was a fairly cheep ship.
Moral of the story- check DED rating on combat sites BEFORE you enter and bring the right tool for the job, a PVE drake or BS might have survived but that site was ment for multiple BC’s. oh well.

4 comments:

  1. LOLZ! Hope the boss was in a cheap barge and not drinking too much red wine out in Lowsec.

    Ya win some you loose some.

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got our hides well and truly smashed by that site! I hadn't heard about Relts' loss, that'll make an interesting convo when I next log in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come try the combat sites in a WH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw man...your right there is a lot of poor information about exploration and that is 95% deliberate. Those of us who were explorers before the new probe mechanics really resent the ease with which you can scan today, and the months spent maxing all the scan skills.

    So we don't make it easy for anyone to do it. However I am going to share some little bits of info cause I can see some...errors in you writing so far. (Not going to tell you everything cause learning is half the fun).

    Firstly probes give max strength when range to sig is below half of max range.

    secondly not all combat sites are DED sites. So the site you warped to may not actually have had a DED rating.

    Thirdly a real scanner will be able to hit any site in 5 scans (16, 16, 4, 1, 0.25)

    Fourthly said real scanner will probably hit a low sec site with less scans.

    #5 A maxed scanner can use combat probes (instead of core probes) and still get the 100% hit on the site AND confirm you presence in the site!

    Finally when mining in low sec it is now possible to align to safe spots. Which allows you to remain in place a little more easily if you can get a safe directly in front and behind the belt. (stops you running out of range of the rocks while aligned)

    ReplyDelete