Tuesday 13 April 2010

Im a giant NOOB!!

Until recently I have Not really thought of my self as a Noob since the first month or so of playing..I had told my self one i could fly that battle cruiser i was a bad ass...once I could fit most of it T2, I was a little tough nut...once i was breezing lvl 3 and 4's i was unbeatable...WRONG!!!!

My recent move to null has shown me just what a NOOB I am! From the small but interesting revelations such as living in a POS, you dont dock your ship...so how to you change fittings?? (to answer, you fly close to the control tower and open the fittings screen) to the relatively massive ego blow of fighting a few cruisers and a battleship and not packing enough of a punch with 5 T2 beams to break the big rat's tank. It has been humbleing to be sitting in system following carriers about ratting and watching the way these giants eat the rats around them.

The best thing I think to come out of being in null sec is the desire to perfect my skills now, and seeing how to.. for instance.. I currently have 4.6 million skillpoints..with my current harby set up, I have 1 min 35 seconds of capacitor (running everything..which i dont) and output for the sake of argument 150 dps (it's not that but I wont tell people exactly what to tank for)..using evemon and EFT and seting all skills to V, I have 6 mins of capacitor with the same setup and am doing almost double the DPS.
This has caused me to look at where exactly I can make the gains, currently i only have Drones to IV so that was my first move, field another drone, i also recently learnt the bonus the skill "Drone Interfacing" give's and will be training that.. In the longer term I can also increase my battlecruiser skill from III to V giving me (in a harby) 20 less cap drain from my guns and 10% more damage..you get the idea what im trying to do, I intend now to focus on making the relevent skills I have much more efficant squeezing every drop of DPS out of my ships instead of focusing on the prerequisit's for the next ship or skill I want. I think this is the biggest difference between the carebears and the Null or lowsec PVP dwellers..in empire near enough is good enough and you can get by far to easily without optimizing what you have, in null, less than perfect is waking up in you new clone vat.

To anyone thinking of moving to null, I would say go for it, but before you move, check the logistics set up. get your ships to the POS and start working on any of the skills you glossed over.

7 comments:

  1. I moved to null when I was a even younger than 4m sp and in the long-run it was the best thing I could've done. It is hard and a much more difficult climb, but I have never regretted it. Learn as much as you can from those around you, be a sponge, and focus your skill training. You'll get there and you'll have a lot of fun doing it.

    Just don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am there with ZombiNutz as well mate. The last week of skill training has done more for my PvP potential than the last 4 months have.

    Signature analysis is your early friend faster locks means you are shooting faster :) Surgical strike etc. All the basic easy adds range/ROF/DPS/Falloff gunnery skills.

    Skills I totally blinked past on my quest for a LvL 4 Drake. EPIC fail for a combat pilot.

    Good luck out there. Who knows we might meet on the gates some day and have those duels ;)

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is a noob. You learn something new every time you login.

    Then again, Nullsec is almost a different game, so most things we learn in high sec in the first month or so are rarely useful in nullsec.

    The skill certificates are not widely liked, but if you train them to the levels recommended in the ship show info pages, you can often fly the ship well, rather than just "fly the ship". They don't just point you at the skills for the ship, but also for the modules you are likely to use on that ship, including drones and ewar modules - some of them really made a difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't learn how to use the maintenance arrays on a POS until I'd been playing over a year and a half. I'd even lived in null-sec before. You're always going to have one more thing to learn -- it's just the way EVE is. And, when by some magical chance, you do happen to learn everything ... they'll change it.

    Just learn what you're taught and remember the answers to questions you ask and it will be great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments guys, I will get there just feeling a bit daugnted! And sob, if your up for a low sec roam together I'll come meet you near jel, if we survive we can kill rch other lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have found that concentrating your skills on a specific type/class of ship really does pay massive benefits in pvp. I have my 12m SP concentrated on minmatar frigates/destroyers and small guns/launchers along with relevant support skills and it really shows when flying. Before long you'll end up in an extremely fearsome 600-700dps Harby. Sticking to the training plan is the hard part which requires some serious willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you know that you can switch corps without every having to go through the NPC corp?

    I'm a 2 year old character, and I just figured that out last night.

    ReplyDelete