Monday 19 April 2010

Imagine if you will..

I was reading a very interesting post today by one of the new blog pack members over at the hydrostatic capsule (congratulations by the way) he raised a VERY interesting point about being able to track large fleet's.
It got me thinking about how this type of idea would work and the impact it could have on the game..I like the idea of being able to track the Large fleets but the way i would suggest to do it is introduce a skill that at lvl 1 you can see if there is a fleet of 30+ ships within 3 jumps..not where they are or what they are..just somewhere within 3 jumps, the range could expand with the skill level.
It would make eve Blob tactics a lot more interesting so as to disguise movements you would have to break the large fleets in to smaller roaming gangs to move into a system then form to attack, it would make fleet ops a LOT more interesting in my eyes, and would encourage a rank system for FLeets of junior FC's that would be responsable for getting there "section" of the fleet into the target area safely..

maybe in a future expansion but id love to hear your veiws on it..even if its just to blow holes in the idea.

2 comments:

  1. My initial reaction is no way! Unless there is a corresponding jamming ship or skill that my fleet can utilize on my side to prevent you from seeing my fleet... and if so, then what's the point? Why should I have to give up my fleet location to anyone that trains a skill? They aren't taking any danger or risks in this information.

    Having said that, perhaps I could anchor scanning structures in my space that would detect large fleets entering my space and alert me? Said structures would be vulnerable to attack just like others. That might be a work-around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reading both the original post and this one. I have to say from a technology stand point it's pretty odd that we can look up everything about a system next to us, including recent kills and not have a way to scan what ships are there with all the modern gadgets in our trusty ships.

    I am not sure a skill based method is the answer. We have folks in EVE who can find you far too quickly with the D-Scanner. We also have skill based probes. Then locator agents etc.

    Just like there is nothing really in game today that tells us of the 45 people in local there are 20 of them in a fleet. Sure you can put 2 and 2 together if local jumps by 50 and most of those pilots fly for the same corp. or alli. Yet how today do we know the 40 people attacking us are in one fleet?

    Would I like to know if there is a fleet waiting to pounce on my in the next block over? Sure I would, just like I get suspicious when local jumps by 5 when I am solo roaming these days. Do I think it’s as simple as adding a skill, not really.

    I also think that a lot of folks would not fly Scout if they could sit out of harm’s way and just scan down the other forces fleet.

    Interesting idea yeah, just not sure how it would bolt into the game.

    Cheers

    EVE SOB

    ReplyDelete